EMDR therapy - (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) is approved by The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) as an evidence based treatment for trauma symptoms.
Negative emotions, feelings and behaviours are generally caused by unresolved earlier experiences that are preventing you from living a fulfilling life. When traumatic events happen, the body's natural cognitive and neurological coping mechanisms can be overwhelmed and subsequently the memory is inadequately processed and stored randomly in our neural network. The goal of EMDR therapy is to properly process these traumatic memories, reducing their negative impact and leaving you with the emotions and understanding that will lead to healthy and appropriate behaviours and interactions. This is done through an eight-phase approach to address the past, present, and future aspects of a stored memory.
Although the therapy is called eye movement, bilateral sensory input such as hand taps, music in alternative ears (headphones) or electronic pulses via a lead held device (Thera-tapper) in each hand can be used depending on what feels most comfortable for the client.
EMDR therapy has proved to be effective in helping people who have had:
• Alcohol/substances dependency
• Anger Management Issues
• Childhood sexual/physical abuse
• Consistent negative opinions of self
• Eating disorders
• Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
• Panic attacks
• Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD)
EMDR can also help with anticipatory anxiety/distress about specific ‘future’ events such as:
•Childbirth & Labour Anxiety
•Fear of Flying
EMDR has been proven to help people processing difficult experiences whilst developing new coping strategies without the risk of reliving the trauma. People who have had EMDR reported:
• Increased capacity to engage in and enjoying normal daily activities and relationships
• Reduced feelings of stress, anxiety, panic and hypervigilance
• Reduced feelings of isolation, helplessness and depression
• A boost in self-confidence and self-esteem